Gavin Porteous (AUS)

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
Fritz
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Co Pilot
Full Name: Paul Yarwood

Gavin Porteous (AUS)

Unread postby Fritz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Gavin Porteous and Jamie Spencer came over from Australia in a blaze of glory to the IOM TT and after their first visit went away a brace of 9th place finishes, the 93 season saw Gavin return with a change of passenger ( Scott Butler ) but problems left them with only one mid thirties finish from 2 rides.
Gavin returned to the island in 94 in the hope of better things, but a crash just beyond Sarah's Cottage during practice ended Gavin's TT ambitions.....

I recall passing the incident with Franco Martinel and once again the thought would pass through my mind 'FM, if these quick guys can get it wrong, there is nowt down for the rest of us'

Anyway as the post suggests, where is he now ?

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,

duncan
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Duncan Rogers

Re: Gavin Porteous (AUS)

Unread postby duncan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:35 am

Gav had a few outings after the crash where he was still very quick. He lengthened the left handlebar on his F1 short bike to compensate for his right arm. Last I heard he was racing cars & doing very well in his class.

oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread postby oldbelly » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Myself and Nick were so close to being part of that crash on the Monday morning. Gavin had gone out first with a passenger new to the TT. We went out fourth, by the time we got to Crosby we had passed Howard Langham and Eddy Wright. I had forgoten about Gavin and in the twisty bits after Ballacraine he must have been just out of sight. As we left Sarahs the main part of the outfit was cartwheeling along the bankside on the left I missed that but was then heading for the front wheel and forks. I managed to just avoid them and ran over part of the bodywork. The timing of the crash meant that I couldnt see anyone was in front and the marshals hadnt time to react. It was a big crash, Gavins shoulder joint was pushed into his rib cage. He was a hard man. He was out of Hospital watching the last sidecar race.

sidecarcop
Scything Through The Field
Full Name: Alan Warner

Unread postby sidecarcop » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Any one visiting Mr Ireson ask him for an update on Gavin as i believe they keep in touch.
BEARs sidecar 'Its racing Jim, but not as we know it' ;)

camo
In Collection Area
Full Name: cameron kellett

Unread postby camo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:48 am

Gavin is livin it up in South Australia, after his crash and some recovery, he did get back out there on a short F1 bike, and on his return managed to claim the Australian Title. He then retired from 3 wheels and is now competing in the HQ (car)races over here in Aust, and doing pretty well in that as well.

Quixotic
In Collection Area
Full Name: John Swensen

Unread postby Quixotic » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:36 am

I raced for Gav for part of one season..... I was a crap passenger, so Gav got me my own outfit to ride. He then taught me how to ride that, but I was not much better at riding. He was a Guru on an outfit though. Even with one arm. He is still very competitive, but racing HQ Holden cars these days.
Attachments
Gav.jpg

Return to “Classic/Vintage/Where are they now?”