Tin Windle Whereabouts.....

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
Yangi
One Lap Completed

Tin Windle Whereabouts.....

Unread postby Yangi » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 pm

After seeing a couple of old pics recently and getting bit nostalgic... Does anybody know the whereabouts of the old 'Tin' Windle that my Dad and I raced between 1982-1985? (mainly down south in those days)

Not sure how many of these were made by Terry (in 1979 I think) but was a Box Section main chassis (semi-Monocoque) that the Yamaha TZ700/750 sat in, with no top tubes. This bike had been built new and sent to South Africa. But with very little use was sent back to UK for Sale at end of 1981.

Our Chassis had been painted Green (don't ask.....?) And I think Dad modified the original dual Braking system on the rear - so that one Master Cylinder faced forwards and one Master Cylinder backwards off the pedal. It also had HandleBars bolted on top of Forks rather than the original welded on versions (at the time).

It was sold in 1986 to Alex Aitkin from Hounslow (Middlesex) who sadly passed away before he ever rode it. And I don't know what happened to it after that.

It wasn't the first chassis I rode, and it wasn't best chassis I rode..... but at 17 I was 'racing' a sidecar the same as Jock had won his first GP on just 3 years earlier, with a TZ700 Yam in it in an orange jacket :D So as all of us old gits can appreciate, some special memories going on there!!

Anyway Would just be interested to know if anybody has any knowledge if its still around somewhere?

Cheers All
Yangi

smiffy
One Lap Completed
Full Name: Gary Smith

Re: Tin Windle Whereabouts.....

Unread postby smiffy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Yangi wrote:Dad modified the original dual Braking system on the rear - so that one Master Cylinder faced forwards and one Master Cylinder backwards off the pedal.

I'm obviously being thick here Ian , but ... ehh ???

Big Tim
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Tim Langham

Unread postby Big Tim » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 pm

I don't know the whereabouts of any of the Tin Windles now; but these photos show the one my father raced in 1985/86; he knows more about the history of it than me; but it ran TZ700/750 motors.

Wal
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Driver/Teaboy
Full Name: Wally Saunders

Unread postby Wal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am

smiffy wrote:
Yangi wrote:Dad modified the original dual Braking system on the rear - so that one Master Cylinder faced forwards and one Master Cylinder backwards off the pedal.

Probably one each side of the pivot point Gary !
I don’t regret the things I did wrong, I do regret the things I did right. . .for the wrong people !

Yangi
One Lap Completed

Unread postby Yangi » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Wal wrote:
smiffy wrote:

Probably one each side of the pivot point Gary !

:) Sorry to confuse Gal, Wal is correct in his assumption :notworthy:

And Tim, thanks for the pics - it all looked so 'modern' then..... well at least it did if you couldn't have a Seymaz :D

The 'other' Feature of the one I rode, was that the 'Big Fuel Tank' was cut about, and mainly used a small 2 Gallon Tank strapped into the remains of half the old tank..... 8 laps around Lydden didn't need so much fuel....but could also use the Bigger (half remaining) Tank if required for longer races :) I think that was Dad's way of not wasting Avgas/Castrol R mix LOL

oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread postby oldbelly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 pm

Howards bike still looks the part now Ian. Terry did tell me why he went back to tubes. Cant remember his reason now though :roll: . Have you noticed , over the years , Howards grass has also always looked the part ;) .

RARING TO GO
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: D
Full Name: michel Duneige

Unread postby RARING TO GO » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Howards grass is still immaculate, may be its the copious amounts of Castrol R that fed it when it was young........ ;)

Eddy Wright
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Eddy Wright

Unread postby Eddy Wright » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:37 pm

It's astro turf lol
Eddy Wright
Free Styler

Steve B
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: Steve Broadstock

Unread postby Steve B » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:16 am

Dave Cheesmond has one sitting in his workshop at the moment, I saw it yesterday, I don't know who it belongs to though

tonybsa2008
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: tony wheatley

Unread postby tonybsa2008 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm

I know where theres one being rebuilt back into a tz750,it maybe the same bike in Daves at the moment.

Yangi
One Lap Completed

Unread postby Yangi » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:04 pm

Are you all sure that Tim hasn't been photoshop'in the Grass to make it look immaculate :D
I guess you just look at Howard's bikes to know that everything else would be spot on too....

Anyway Geoff, I'm guessing that the Box Section version may have had too much flex? Or more likely, knowing Terry, took more time to make and offered no more benefit than tubes?

Anyway, thanks to this post, I now know who's got it and 'restoring it' as we speak :D

Good to know it's still about.

Cheers All
Yangi

Return to “Classic/Vintage/Where are they now?”