Tim Reeves and Greg Cluze

Fresh from his victory at the Southern 100 road races, Tim Reeves resumed his challenge for the 2016 British Sidecar Championship at Thruxton at the weekend and with first, second and third in the three races both he and passenger Gregory Cluze reclaimed the Championship lead.

With three races on the schedule at the Hampshire venue, it was a busy weekend for the entire Team E-Aide Motorsport/Remse Racing squad and having qualified in second behind Ricky Stevens/Ryan Charlwood, race proceedings for Tim and Gregory got underway on Saturday lunchtime with the opening eight-lap encounter.


It was Stevens that led off the line but Tim and Gregory put the LCR Yamaha in front shortly afterwards although it was a three-way fight for the lead with Ben Holland/Lee Watson also involved. There was never more than half a second between the three outfits and on lap five Tim slipped back to second behind Stevens with Holland pushing him back a further place a lap later. Try as he might he was unable to regain the ground and had to settle for third at the chequered flag.

The second race later in the day saw Tim start from third on the grid but by the end of the opening lap, they'd fought their way into the lead as the same three outfits pulled away. It was again a three-horse race with Tim leading until the sixth lap when Stevens again squeezed by and, despite the close attentions of Holland, he held onto second place.

Tim Reeves and Greg Cluze 2

Sunday saw cooler conditions at the 2.35-mile venue and it was Stevens who led off the line only for Tim and Gregory to edge ahead half way round the lap and with Stevens going onto the grass after the coming together, it gave them a clear track. They took full advantage to take an eventual win by 6.3s from Holland/Watson and with Stevens/Charlwood retiring from the race on the fourth lap, Tim and Gregory's win saw them re-take the lead in the title table, albeit by a slender eight points.

Tim Reeves: "We didn't seem to get much track time prior to the first race and I was lacking a bit of drive out of the final chicane, onto the start and finish, and also out of the Campbell-Cobb section. Elsewhere, I felt really strong but I couldn't do much to stop the other boys getting ahead although I did everything I could to keep them at bay. It was a similar story in race two although I did manage to go one better."

"After the race we spoke to Rob and Gary Winfield, as well as their mechanic Alan, from the BSB Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha team and they helped tremendously with some of the settings with the electronics. That, together with a different tyre, certainly gave us a better drive and when I saw the slight gap that Ricky left, I took advantage. After that, I had a trouble free drive and it's great to get back in the Championship lead. It's still very close though so there's a lot of work to be done. Special thanks this weekend to Rob and Gary Winfield and also to all my sponsors for their continued and valuable support."

Tim and the team now head to Mallory Park with the next round of the series taking place next weekend, July 30-31.

The third race podium

Pictures by John Mushet

Phil Wain
Freelance PR