2 stroke revival ?

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

2 stroke revival ?

Unread post by petercaughlin »

For the small amount of die hards on here the news is that F1 is talking about going over to 2 smokes, using a "manufactured" green fuel which will make them environmentally friendly and they (F1) reckon they will be carbon neutral by 2030, So a return of Stinkwheels to future TT`s 2 and 3 wheels
p.a.caughlin
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: D
Full Name: Gordon Jones

Re: 2 stroke revival ?

Unread post by G JONES »

Had to check the date first - brilliant news if it's true...
2 strokes are the future...
TZ Parts List
http://tz350.co.uk
Had to laugh at this I heard somewhere... "You can't polish a Turd"
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

Heavens above, I`ve just fallen in, surely you didn't think that this was an April Fool Joke, I am deeply hurt that you would think that I would sink so low :o :o :o
p.a.caughlin
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by G JONES »

You never know - always best to check ! - sorry you feel so hurt !
TZ Parts List
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

I am prepared to accept your grovelling apology providing it is accompanied by a Fortnum and Masons Hamper,filled with Bolly and Caviar
p.a.caughlin
G JONES
Lapping the Tail Enders

Unread post by G JONES »

Here you go....
download.jpg
download.jpg (84.41 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
TZ Parts List
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

You`re a gentleman, Sir
p.a.caughlin
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Ex D

Unread post by Phil Davies »

A logical conclusion really, why?
2 stroke makes more power per displacement and is lighter than 4 stroke,so,
Build 2 stroke with forced induction engine running on Ethanol/whatever keeps the greens smiling, tuned for a high output narrow power band to drive an electrical generator (that operates at a constant speed), so getting optimum power and fuel burn per mile,
Genny provides the power for the battery that the leccy motors at the wheels use (and facilitate charging under braking), 2s motor cuts in and out as required for charging the battery.
All doable now really, just have to determine which 'super eco' fuel to actually use, and this could be fresh air (yes really!!) if F1 look at using the (mind boggling) technology from the 'super heat exchanger' that is being developed for aircraft.
Eric & Julie
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: D&P
Full Name: Eric Lenser
Twitter: eric_ledebile

Unread post by Eric & Julie »

OK, as a die hard 2 stroke fan (Still racing 250GP bikes!) I think you need to pay careful attention to the definition of a 2 stroke. These motors will still have a power stroke per revolution, but won't be simple , inefficient, polluting piston ported, crankcase induction motors. It will almost definitely have exhaust valves in the cylinder head, either solenoid or cam driven. And it won't rev it's head off at 15,000RPM either. Look up the BUSDIG engine for an idea of the type of future 2 stroke. It will be great to see new technology, but remember it'll be just that, NEW, not winding back he clocks to a nostalgic past.
Phil Davies
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Ex D

Unread post by Phil Davies »

Quite so Eric,
The 2s (as we knew it) of yesterday is now long gone for possible modern use.
Clean burn fuels open the possibility to electrically actuated exhaust (and possibly transfer) ports.
Great idea - hybrid use for starting.
It will still end up powering a generator, not a transmission system.
tonybsa
In Collection Area
Full Name: tony wheatley

Unread post by tonybsa »

Being a subscriber to MotorSport,I read the article in last months issue about the future of F1. Pat Symonds,ex Beneton/Renault,and Williams,is part of a working group set up by Ross Brawn,to look into the future direction of the sport.Pat is extremely keen on replacing the current 4 stroke engines,with water injected 2 strokes.These will be fueled by synthetic fuel made using carbon capture technology,thus making the fuel carbon neutral.The fuel technology is already being developed by the aviation industry,lets face it,there is no way that the airlines are going to use electric planes,when they still wont use unleaded petrol! On safety grounds. So I suspect synthetic fuel using carbon capture is the future for all internal combustion engines.The article also mentions that the majority of F1s yearly carbon emissions is from actually flying all the equipment and personnel around the world to compete,the emissions from the cars themselves,is almost insignificant.