How to recycle an old mobile phone as a GPS laptimer.

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
Eric & Julie
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: D&P
Full Name: Eric Lenser
Twitter: eric_ledebile

How to recycle an old mobile phone as a GPS laptimer.

Unread post by Eric & Julie »

Just about all of us have an old mobile phone lying around, and we don't know what to with it. it's been replaced, has no more use, but still works, so we kept it, hidden deep in a drawer somewhere. Well, why not turn it into a laptimer?
I've been using a app based timer since 2017 now, and while skeptical of it's accuracy at first (most phone's GPS are at 1hz, so precision of the phone is +/-1sec), I thought I'd give it a try. I have been very impressed. General accuracy is within 0.2s of the transponder time, and never worse than 0.4s. If you do want more accuracy, 50hz plug in GPS units for mobile phones can be found for under 50€ nowadays, but honestly, I've not seen any need.

As for which application, you are free to chose. I've used Racechrono, but there are plenty to chose from. I've tested Racechrono on a mix of phones, and found stable on Android 9 (Samsung A20), Android 7 (Wiko tommy 2) Android 4.4 (Samsung galaxy grand) and even 4.1 (Samsung galaxy trend lite). It didn't work on a very old Chinese phone running Android 2 but that was pushing my limits. There are also Apple options, but Julie won't yet let me mess with her old iphone 6, so I can't comment. Watch this space :D
20200426_163702.jpg
Now, most old phones will run slow, so a trick is to do a factory restore, then reinstall only the essentials. Block all mail, maps, all data sync. Switch your android to manual updating, to it will not fill itself with unwanted crap. Once stripped back, you can be surprised how well even old phones work. Also, depending on the age of your phone, it might be worth putting an SD card in it, just to boost memory capacity, so you can look at the results later.

Now, worth noting that the phone does not need a SIM card to work. Many applications will run off line so long as they are up to date. I put an old, inactive SIM card in, just to hide the messge from the screen, but it is not necessary. If you do want live updates, just to hook it to the shared wifi of your main phone, which you put in pocket inside your leathers.

Next, how to mount it. Well, it's an old phone, so you probably won't care too much about marking it, so the easiest option is to just take it's protective housing, and screw it to the bodywork somewhere. it works fine, just remember that you will want to take the phone out to charge it from time to time. The only real disadvantage here is weather protection. If you ride in the wet, your phone won't last long.
My solution has been to use bicycle mobile phone holders. I fix a small bit of tube to the bodywork, and then stick the mobile phone support on there.

In use, I find it's easiest to start the application well before heading out, just to remove the hassle of dealing with the phone at the last minute. It just means that your out lap will show as a 20mn or something, but who cares.

So, there you have it. No need to spend a fortune on an on board timer, like an Alfano, and in the event of a crash, you've lost nothing, just an old worthless phone.
20200426_163956.jpg
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Re: How to recycle an old mobile phone as a GPS laptimer.

Unread post by steve-e »

Interesting :thumbup:
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
petercaughlin
Throttle on the Stop

Unread post by petercaughlin »

Wish you could turn them into a transponder save us a fortune
p.a.caughlin
SlowPhil
Throttle on the Stop
D/P/T/M/S: almost a driver
Full Name: phil jones

Unread post by SlowPhil »

My transponder hasn't cost me a penny so far this season :cry:
Worked all week, it's time to play gonna get a little bit sideways!!!!
Eric & Julie

petercaughlin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 pm Wish you could turn them into a transponder save us a fortune
That would be cool.. if you trusted your telephone ? :D
ChrisWells
D/P/T/M/S: D/P (Retired)
Full Name: Chris Wells

Unread post by ChrisWells »

We did something similar, except we were looking for data-logging. Discovered our aftermarket ECU offered real-time data-logging via a serial port and also a serial port to BlueTooth converter (since most laptops even back in 2010 no longer came with serial ports). The software for the laptop and android phones were capable of recording the data. So we bought the cheapest phone we could find with the required Android version supported by the App and Bluetooth converter. Then we installed a USB power port to power the converter (as we found it would not work reliably with a USB power bank battery). Finally we found a nice cushy waterproof place to mount the phone. The end result was data logging that we could upload into the laptop and use to analyze the performance of the ECU maps etc. Ironically it turned out that the ECU maps from the tuner that built and installed our Fuel Injection system were flexible enough to handle all variations of altitude and weather we encountered (we did have them configure the ECU to be able to adjust by up to 15% rather than the usual 5% which helped, knowing full well that if the O2 sensor malfunctioned the motor would likely be very unhappy, so we stocked several spare O2 sensors :-) Unfortunately I can't recommend the ECU, MicroSquirt, as it fell apart (literally disintegrated inside it's housing) during it's 4th season. Perhaps if it was mounted in foam it might last longer?
Chris Wells
Ottawa, Canada
2015 IOM TT Compeitor
2014 Pikes Peak Competitor
2013 SRA East F2 Championship (Driver)
2013 SRA East Overall 2nd Place (Driver)
2012 & 2011 SRA East F1 Championship (Driver)

2010 MRE F2 with Yamaha R6 (SOLD)
2007 CSR F1 with 05 Honda CBR1000RR (SOLD)
1990 Honda VFR750F
2001 Suzuki RM250
Eric & Julie

Cool Stuff Chris (y)

Shane to hear that the Microsquirt ECU didn't hold up. I know a few who have played with them on bikes and cars, a mate is running al his own software on one on an SV650, and it seems to work really well. So the problem isn't the software or ECU capabilities, it's the physical quality of the component. Shame

As for the lap time, another season done and dusted, and again comparing with the transponder results I was consistently within 0.2s with the phone app. So the GPS is clearly about 10Hz. Perfect for my needs.