Engine rules,some sanity at last.

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
teamradar
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Andy King

Engine rules,some sanity at last.

Unread post by teamradar »

For anyone who hasn't seen this.
The new British F2 engine rules from 1st January 2017 and for the next 3 years will
be as follows.
The bottom half of the engine FROM the cylinder head gasket [including the cylinder head gasket] down will be as it is now totally free [do as you like as long as its still 600cc]
The cylinder head can be as super sort rules which are.

1/ The cylinder head MUST BE as homologated. The following modifications ARE allowed.
2/ Grinding of the cylinder head surface on the side of the gasket.
3/ modifications of the inlet and exhaust ports by taking off or adding material
But welding is forbidden
4/original homologated valves guides may be cut or modified but only on the intake or exhaust port side.
5/ polishing of the combustion chamber.
6/ original valve seats must be used,But modifications are allowed to the shape
7/ Compression ratio is free But the combustion chamber can be modified only by taking material off
8/ It is forbidden to add any material to the cylinder head unless described above
the combustion chamber may be modified
9/ Valves must remain as homologated by the original manufacturer
10/ Valve springs, Valve spring retainers and cotters may be altered or replaced

CAMSHAFT
The method of drive must remain as homologated
the camshaft duration's are free BUT the lift must remain as homologated.
As now the cam sprockets or gears may be modified or replaced to allow the degreeing of the camshafts.

FUEL INJECTION SYSTEMS
the fuel injection systems i.e Throttle bodies, fuel injectors must be as homologated but Bell mouths,including there fixing points may be altered or replaced
The Ignition system ECU is still free [Motec etc is still OK to use]

PLEASE DON'T get confused with the solo supersport rules we are ONLY
running a supersport cylinder head, Cam Shafts

We have gone for this ruling for the next three years 2017/18/19 as beyond this
we may have to look at a totally new engine ruling if as predicted Honda & Yamaha stop making a 600cc 4 cyl engine and don't say 675 Triumph as they are stopping making that. But by around 2018 we may have a better idea as to what engines there are suitable for F2s or short chassis sidecars.
if you need any more info I'll be at Cadwell or contact me on 07746573900
But the main thing is this puts us [the British F2 Championship] with the same engine rules as The Southern 100 and Scarborough which apart from the TT covers ALL the major meetings. But for the TT I would think for most this would be a good spec engine to compete there.
ralph95
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: driver
Full Name: ralph remnant

Re: Engine rules,some sanity at last.

Unread post by ralph95 »

So this means it will cost even more money to race at the top level
imho less peep's will want race there due spiraling cost's
Three wheels on my wagon
Eurocup
Setting the Fastest Lap
D/P/T/M/S: Driver, Ex-passenger
Full Name: Eckart Roesinger

Unread post by Eurocup »

Hi
run the world championship rounds. The regulatuons there are nearly stocksport. Easy and cheap, this is what we do again next year.
Bye Eckart and Steffen
Yangi
One Lap Completed

Unread post by Yangi »

Run a STOCK 1000cc with only Head Gasket and Cam Timing and Kit Electronics.... Much Cheaper in Long run, especially IF WE EVENTUALLY get to rules on Restricted Inlets to even things up to 160-170bhp :) so can use any 1000cc - and that most people don't need to spend so much money to change anything! :?

And most Manufacturers still want to make 1000cc engines, not 600cc :/
oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread post by oldbelly »

With a bit of luck the 600s will run out before the disease spreads too far Ian.
Belly
One Lap Completed
Full Name: Phil Bell

Unread post by Belly »

The penny hasn't dropped with Eckart yet Ian....

Nothing will change next season from this season as you will have the long 600's half a lap ahead of the short bikes. The only difference is the long 600 team's will have spent a fortune changing from 1000's to still have a separate race for no prize money!! Its a joke and should not be followed by the domestic championships.

The only difference in my opinion is that the corner speed on the group of long bikes will increase and in my opinion make the safety aspect worse...
teamradar
Scything Through The Field
Full Name: Andy King

Unread post by teamradar »

To be fair the post is about the new British F2 rules being brought into line with the Southern 100 & Scarborough and also a usable engine spec for the TT. This means one spec of engine for a lot of people instead of two. The worlds thing with 600's in long bikes is another crazy,dumb & stupid can of worms!
oldbelly
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes
Full Name: Geoff Bell

Unread post by oldbelly »

Totaly agree Andy. The cost of racing is high anyway without having 3 sets of engine regs in any class . A 600 motor is an F2 motor in the world of sidecar racing. A World Sidecar Championship not using the fastest engines just seems daft. The big bikes have finaly got it right in recent years as well ,with the standard engine rule. I didnt think the long 600s would be competitive against an F2 outfit but I have certainly been proven wrong in the case of Ben and Tom anyway . See what happens in the near future.