Honda CBX 6 Outfits

Classic and Vintage outfit discussion, including Where are they now, the people hunter.
TonyW
Scything Through The Field
D/P/T/M/S: Driver/ex passenger

Honda CBX 6 Outfits

Unread post by TonyW »

I remember 2 Honda CBX 6 outfits that were raced, I think Alan Fisher had one and the other was a Winstanley framed outfit built by the guy who had the Honda shop in Eccles (can't remember his name due to old age now :roll: ), a guy called Rob Cooper from the Wirral bought that one and did quite well on it at Aintree ('83/'84 ish), don't know what happened to it after that ........... anyone know of any others ?
lang
Setting the Fastest Lap
Full Name: howard langham

Re: Honda CBX 6 Outfits

Unread post by lang »

Alan Fisher still has his CBX outfit and a number of CBX solos, his son races one of the solos very successfully.
John Coates raced a Shelbourne CBX, then I think this was the same machine that was raced by John Holden for a few seasons.
I raced the very first f2 600 in 1989 (a Kawasaki GPX) that we fitted into a John Crick built CBX chassis I bought from someone in Skipton, but I can not remember his name, he sold it because he had suffered a few blow ups with the Honda six.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

Stan Stephens had a CBX6 for a while
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Unread post by ianw »

Rob Cooper lives just down the road from me. I remember the bike well.
As you say Tony, Rob raced mainly at Aintree with it, we were on our 350 against him.
I dont know what happened to it after Rob packed in. Yes, it was a Winstanley, Vince made some lovely bikes.
If your ever in Liverpool, from the Pier Head, heading up "Scotty Road" going to the East Lanc Road, Cooper Restorations is on the right hand side in a lovely old Bank building, that is Rob's company, he restores furniture.
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Unread post by ianw »

Aintree 1883.
I think number 11 is Rob Cooper on his CBX, I also think number 16 is Des Founds.
Thats me on our 350 in the middle, the blue silver & red outfit.
The chassis was a Fidderman bought from Mick Hudson of York, we fitted the 350 into it.
Attachments
img20180905_14334175.pdf
(120.78 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
paulsparkie
D/P/T/M/S: Driver retired again
Full Name: sparkie
Skype contact: paulsparkie

Unread post by paulsparkie »

Dave Bexley had one I believe,Hadleigh custom
andy bailey
Fired Up
Full Name: Andrew Bailey

Unread post by andy bailey »

The outfit that John Holden had was sold to a bloke called Alan Brown in Heywood lancs my father passengerd it a few times at croft & elvington don't know what happened to it after that
TonyW

Unread post by TonyW »

ianw wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:40 pm Aintree 1883.
I think number 11 is Rob Cooper on his CBX, I also think number 16 is Des Founds.
Thats me on our 350 in the middle, the blue silver & red outfit.
The chassis was a Fidderman bought from Mick Hudson of York, we fitted the 350 into it.

Great picture Ian, brings back lots of memories being stood waiting in the line to go out at Aintree (and when it was cold it was bloody freezing stood there!), I had to knock it on the head in '82 for other priorities. Number 16 isn't Des as he always had yellow & white fairings same as Derek Rumble, plus that one in the pic looks like a GS1000 motor & Des always ran a Kawasaki Z. Might be Dick Tapken's outfit in the black & red (memory bad with old age now :roll: ) not sure if that would be Rob Cooper's with number 11, doesn't look like it's housing a Honda 6 engine, but I could be wrong.

Good times mate, proper sidecars and full grids with all kinds of motors running in them. I wonder how many of those bikes are still around ......... or rotting away in sheds or under a tarpaulin somewhere ? :cry:
TonyW

Unread post by TonyW »

andy bailey wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:50 pm The outfit that John Holden had was sold to a bloke called Alan Brown in Heywood lancs my father passengerd it a few times at croft & elvington don't know what happened to it after that
I remember Alan Brown, pretty sure he had a TZ700 at one time.
paulsparkie
D/P/T/M/S: Driver retired again
Full Name: sparkie
Skype contact: paulsparkie

Unread post by paulsparkie »

Yep Alan did have a TZ but he packed in I think in the 80s if i remember,he did ride again sometime after that
idris

Unread post by idris »

Julian Bishop had one in a Windle 1990/1
lrb1
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: driver

Unread post by lrb1 »

Thought julians was a long windle with early cbr 1000 motor we raced against him then with north glos on the airfield circuits
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

I rode with Julian on the CBR once think ithat was 91, think the cbx was before that.
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
Sideslip
D/P/T/M/S: Ex driver F2

Unread post by Sideslip »

lrb1 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:06 pm Thought julians was a long windle with early cbr 1000 motor we raced against him then with north glos on the airfield circuits
Correct. I did most of the NG events through the early 90s as well. The only Honda engine I remember Julian using was a four cylinder CBR1000.
Older - but none the wiser
idris

Unread post by idris »

You are both correct it was a cbr 4, Brain fade
I thought about it last night & I knew I was wrong.