Newcomers Trophy

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
NickO
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Tea boy
Full Name: Nick Oldfield

Re: Newcomers Trophy

Unread post by NickO »

a
brewery
organise
in
p*ss-up
couldn't
a

Arrange above to form a relevant sentence.

As Alan Richardson rightly says, it isn't rocket science is it?
john newton
Scything Through The Field

Unread post by john newton »

Phil, Tim Reeves and Patrick Farrance were indeed presented with the award in 2008 but shouldn't have been as Patrick had done 4-5 TTs prior to 2008. IIRC it was down to a campaign on Mr English's website that, eventually Mark and Davy Brown were presented with the trophy (or replicas or whatever the winners actually get to keep). When i have time I'll check that list you have Phil, to see if the passengers had ever done a previous TT as I'm not too sure whether that was a requirement then. It should be easy to work out who's eligible each year but in fairness to young Mr Phillips and Mr Crellin, the practised-qualified-crashed record for Dave in 2009 and Carl in 2010 has complicated matters. Incidentally I have to say Mr English has become a valued member of my staff. :lol: :lol:
John Newton
flexford
D/P/T/M/S: Back Room Staff
Full Name: Kelly Lewis

Unread post by flexford »

Phil, just a little correction to the below (2012):

1990 Richard Crossley/Karl Ellison
1991 ???
1992 Gavin Porteous/Jeff Spencer
1993 Graham Hayne/Mark Beaumont
1994 Mick Boddice jnr/Chris Hollis
1995 Ian Bell/Craig Hallam
1996 Allan Schofield/Andrew Thornton
1997 ???
1998 Gary Bryan/Ivan Murray
1999 ???
2000 ???
2002 Simon Neary/Gary Partridge
2003 Nev Jones/Joe Shardlow
2004 Neil Kelly/Jason O'Connor
2005 ???
2006 Wayne Lockey/Kerry Williams
2007 Dougie Wright/Dipash Chauhan
2008 Tim Reeves/Patrick Farrance
2009 Dean Banks/Nigel Brogan
2010 Nicholas Dukes/William Moralee
2011 Carl Fenwick/Mark Sayers (as discussed though, there's a bit of a query about this)
2012 Driver

Best Newcomer Passenger:

2012 Charlie Richardson

Just from your original list, does this mean the award has now gone to Mark and nobody has had the courtesy to tell us? ...

PS. I totally agree Lisa ..
....your biggest weakness is to think you have none!
Lisa
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: T
Full Name: Lisa Saunders

Unread post by Lisa »

Kelly, we have heard nothing to say the award has gone to Mark. We are still waiting.........
Lee Barrett
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: passenger...

Unread post by Lee Barrett »

What a f@#k up.... And almost every year too....

Surely NEWCOMER means a TEAM that has never qualified OR raced at the TT before (not to hard to work out really)

And now it's been split it should be idiot proof??????

Newcomer passenger.... Fastest passenger that's never qualified or race there before gets the Dave Wells Throphy!!! Well done Chaz top job :notworthy:

Newcomer driver/team.... Fastest driver/team that's never qualified or raced there before gets the newcomer Throphy!!! So should have been Mark and Lee Saunders???? Not Dave and Phil as Dave has qualified/raced before (well done Phil ) no offence mean by the way

(if I can work that out It really must be easy :lol: )
TEAM EDWARDS KAWASAKI 2013

Open your door pensioner for I am a bogus gas man with a fake id and I am here to ransack your HOOOSE.............
custardchucker
One Lap Completed
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Dave Quirk

Unread post by custardchucker »

In my opinion it should be the pairing who have never taken part before, so this year it should have been awarded to Mark and Lee.

Even if someone has qualified before but has never raced, it could give them a slight advantage re having 1st hand experience of the track and having a better idea of bike set up (gearing etc).

It's not just the TT where this is unclear, I lost out on some prize money at the Southern 100 last year when I was originally told I had won best newcomer only for the organisers to change their mind and give it to someone who had qualified in a previous year but had never started a race and therefore was still deemed a newcomer in their eyes (thanks Mark Beaumont for showing me a picture of the cheque with my name scribbled out and someone's else's written in...bstad!!!)
ravenous25
On the Starting Grid
Full Name: Phil Wain

Unread post by ravenous25 »

The info I've got is just what was in the results books that used to be produced - the back few pages always had a full breakdown of who'd won what.

It should be quite a straightforward process really now there's separate trophies for the driver (Peter Chapman Trophy) and passenger (Dave Wells Trophy). This years regs were quite transparent:

- Peter Chapman Trophy - To the newcomer sidecar driver with the highest placed finish in any sidecar race during the meeting. The driver never having started or qualified to start in a sidecar race on the TT course prior to the meeting, irrelevant of the experience of the passenger.

- Dave Wells Trophy - Awarded to the highest placed newcomer passenger in the Sidecar TT Races.
Lee Barrett
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: passenger...

Unread post by Lee Barrett »

ravenous25 wrote:The info I've got is just what was in the results books that used to be produced - the back few pages always had a full breakdown of who'd won what.

It should be quite a straightforward process really now there's separate trophies for the driver (Peter Chapman Trophy) and passenger (Dave Wells Trophy). This years regs were quite transparent:

- Peter Chapman Trophy - To the newcomer sidecar driver with the highest placed finish in any sidecar race during the meeting. The driver never having started or qualified to start in a sidecar race on the TT course prior to the meeting, irrelevant of the experience of the passenger.

- Dave Wells Trophy - Awarded to the highest placed newcomer passenger in the Sidecar TT Races.
TEAM EDWARDS KAWASAKI 2013

Open your door pensioner for I am a bogus gas man with a fake id and I am here to ransack your HOOOSE.............
sarah wells
Fired Up

Unread post by sarah wells »

Carl checked with officials at the tt the first year he was there after Kier's accident (before Mark agreed to ride with him) and he was told that if he entered the following year he would still need to qualify as a newcomer therefore in an orange jacket, complete 4 laps and acheive the speed required whether or not he had a newcomer passenger or an experienced passenger. Although Carl acheived the speed he is not 100% sure he acheived the number of laps required to qualify but can not be certain.

Please do not take this as a rant. Just trying to clear up any confusion.
love many, trust few learn to paddle your own canoe.
john newton

Unread post by john newton »

It would seem that the rules as printed above are NOW quite clear, though I would like the passenger award wording to read as the driver one does re 'in either race'. In other words should passenger A have a 5th place plus a retirement, and passenger B has two 6th placings, then A wins the award. Also a phrase to state that previous experience as a passenger does not prevent a driver being a newcomer-driver, and similarly, previous experience as a driver does not prevent a passenger being a newcomer-passenger.

Just in case you think i'm being pedantic, using Phil Wain's list of who won previous newcomer awards according to the Results Booklets,
(a) In 1990 Karl Ellison had passengered in 1989.
(b) In 1995 Craig Hallam had DRIVEN in 1992.
(c) In 2004 Neil Kelly had passengered a few times before
(d) In 2006 Kerry Williams had passengered a few times before.
AND
(e) In 1996 and 2002, Allan Schofield and Simon Neary won the award DESPITE finishing only one of the two races.

In short, I guess the rules have never been clear or have been changed over the years. At least they seem to be quite clear now to cover any scenario. They are, aren't they..................
John Newton
mark_d
Smashed all the Records
D/P/T/M/S: Results guru
Full Name: Mark Dennis
Twitter: @MarkDennis2

Unread post by mark_d »

And did you know that a driver has their name on the trophy twice
Results guru
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

Now THAT is clever :D
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember
flexford
D/P/T/M/S: Back Room Staff
Full Name: Kelly Lewis

Unread post by flexford »

Just to say that I have left a message for Paul Phillips to call me re this subject and so hopefully as soon as he calls back we can get it cleared up
....your biggest weakness is to think you have none!
sarah wells
Fired Up

Unread post by sarah wells »

mark_d wrote:And did you know that a driver has their name on the trophy twice
The trophy hasn't always been a new comer trophy so if you mean dave Sav it was because he won it before it became the newcomer trophy.
love many, trust few learn to paddle your own canoe.
steve-e
Site Admin
D/P/T/M/S: resting Passenger
Full Name: Steve English
Skype contact: steveenglish.com
Twitter: @steveinmarden

Unread post by steve-e »

What was it before Sarah ? :D
IF YOU'VE FORGOTTEN YOUR LOGIN EMAIL ME, WE ARE GOING BACK TO BEING LOGGED IN TO READ.
steve@steveenglish.com subject:login and whatever details you remember