Are these any good?

For Results,please see the timekeeper's office next door! To register, click the link in the top right corner.
Spewy555
Fired Up
D/P/T/M/S: Driver
Full Name: Andy Ewings

Are these any good?

Unread post by Spewy555 »

IMG_1440.JPG
I'm just going through my new toy at the moment and was wondering what dampers these are. It's an early windle. Are they any good or what should I be looking out for? Cheers guys.
Spewy555
Fired Up

Re: Are these any good?

Another picture.
Attachments
IMG_1442.JPG
Spewy555
Fired Up

And this is the rear
Attachments
IMG_1443.JPG
Spewy555
Fired Up

It's got a Koni top cap but I'm not sure of the rest. It's stamped made in holland on the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_1444.JPG
Stevieweavie
On the Starting Grid
D/P/T/M/S: S
Full Name: Steve Denbigh

Unread post by Stevieweavie »

The rotating spring collar thats used to adjust ride height looks the same as the ones on the koni dampers on my Baker. As for condition , there's some things you can do at home such as looking for leaks, and you can try compressing the dampers by getting someone to get on over the front or back end of the bike then jumping off, watchning to see if it bounces up and down. If its bouncing a lot its a sign the dampers arn't working. That said with the stiff suspension and low rideheight on sidecars its probably harder to tell on a sidecar than it is on a solo bike. You vould take them off the bike and remove the spring( make sure the spring is topped out and not still under pressure, if it is you'll need some spring compressors), then extend and compress it by hand, if theres little or no resistance it needs rebuilding.Damper building companies can put them on a dyno to test them, but this means spending money.
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Unread post by ianw »

They look like Koni, the adjuster doesn't adjust ride height it adjusts the spring tension.
The bottom loop doesn't look Windle, do you who made it?
Spewy555
Fired Up

The previous bottom loop was aluminium so had to be changed , it was fabricated by a guy on here a few years ago. I'm not sure the front dampers are Koni , I think they may be a Chinese copy, but I'm pretty sure the rear is as you say.
ianw
Opposite Lock Through the Chicanes

Unread post by ianw »

If you can find out who fabricated the bottom loop, they should be able to help identify the shocks.
Do you have any history on the outfit?
Dan
Lapping the Tail Enders
D/P/T/M/S: Driver - injured

Unread post by Dan »

Anything on the FORSA website that might help you, if there are model numbers on your shocks?
http://www.forsa-mdi.com/
Proud and honoured to be a member of Team Past It.
With age comes wisdom, maturity and responsibility.............unless you race sidecars !