When it was announced that classic sidecars would be included at the Barry Sheene meeting at Oliver’s Mount on 26/27 June there was, apparently, a fair bit of interest shown but as of 14 May no entries have been received by the organisers.
Entries close on 21 May so if anybody wants to race at this iconic circuit they need to get their entries in without delay or there is a real risk that the sidecar class could be abandoned in favour of more solo races.
Exactly a year had passed since the last “real road race” for sidecars in the U.K., and it was the Oliver’s Mount International Gold Cup meeting, hosted by 243 Racing which had the honour of being the only such meeting to run in 2020.
A full grid of sidecars had entered, and some excitement prior to the event had been generated with the news that multi world champions and TT winners Ben and Tom Birchall had entered, and were to make their racing debut around the 2.43 mile North Yorkshire parkland circuit aboard their LCR Honda. However, they were to face stiff competition from regulars Lee Crawford / Scott Hardie (LCR Suzuki); Conrad Harrison / Andy Winkle (Bellas Honda) and Steve and Matty Ramsden (LCR Honda).
Due to Government advice regarding the avoidance of mass gatherings, slowing the spread of the virus and not tying up essential NHS resource during the current situation, we have taken the unavoidable decision to postpone the Spring Cup from 18th / 19th April and we will be seeking approval from The ACU and Scarborough Borough Council to run the event as The Summer Cup over the weekend of the 15th / 16th August 2020.
All Spring Cup and Season tickets will be valid for the new dates and if anyone purchasing advanced or season tickets cannot or does not wish to attend the Summer Cup, they will be able to receive a refund.
At present, the Oliver’s Mount Festival, Barry Sheene Classic and Gold Cup events remain in the calendar as planned, but will be subject to further review as the situation progresses.
A further post will be released to update how those wishing to obtain a refund on tickets already purchased should progress once we have established a refund process with our ticketing partners, Duke Marketing Ltd.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience, especially for those that have booked accommodation etc. but hopefully it is apparent that we have tried our best to go ahead with The Spring Cup until postponement became inevitable.